At Wayhome we are reinventing homeownership by co-investing with people who haven't been able to buy a home yet. We’re a small team of developers, property specialists, data scientists and creatives, who are addressing one of the biggest and most life-changing problems our customers have: how they can get the security and freedom of homeownership for their families and for themselves.
The RoleWe are looking to grow our design team, and bring in someone who will help expand and improve our products and user experience. You will be working with our brilliant product managers, developers and other designers across multiple projects at a time to shape the customer experience, contribute to our design system, and build out our internal tools to help our peers do their jobs more efficiently.
The Product Development team is a mixed bunch of developers, designers and product managers. We currently work using a mix of various agile methodologies and have recently started to build out our design processes to match this. However, we understand that there isn’t a one size fits all solution to the way we work; especially as we expand the team, so we're always open to change depending on everyone's needs.
The values we especially care about in the team are empathy, being pragmatic in our work and taking delight in helping others.
For the foreseeable future, we’re optimising for the majority of our team to be working remotely most of the time. We have a (dog friendly) office in central London if you're unable or don’t want to work from home, or just prefer the buzz of a co-working space—we're keen to provide an experience that works for everyone.
The current situation is a bit of a change for us, but we’re growing into this new remote reality together. If there is a specific way you want to work or you have particular requirements, let us know—we're always open to discussing it.
- Salary £50,000 to £60,000, based on experience
- Your choice of a mac or windows laptop
- Unlimited holiday (within reason, and minimum 28 days a year)
- A personal training budget of £600 per year to help you grow
- An opportunity to be granted stock options for high performance
- An office in Bank with all the WeWork bells and whistles, though we’re currently working from home for the majority of the time
What you will be doing
- Working closely with your team's product manager to do discovery, scope out, ideate and design solutions to problems facing our customers and Wayhome
- Iterating and improving on our existing products through data and research
- Writing hypotheses, user stories and requirements, creating task flows, wire-framing ideas and producing hi-fidelity mockups
- Collaborating with frontend developers and other designers to develop and refine our nascent design system
- Ensuring development builds are visually inline with the designs solutions you created
What we are looking for
- Experience iterating and delivering a web product or feature end-to-end in a product team
- Good experience working with, and contributing to well documented and consistent design systems
- Excellent knowledge of design principles e.g. visual hierarchy, colour and composition
- Great communication skills—able to listen to feedback and convey your thoughts clearly and efficiently to the team
- A measurement mindset—you should be interested in using data and research to drive your design decisions
- A basic understanding of web technologies (e.g. HTML & CSS) and how it affects your work as a designer
Important to note, if you are reading this and worrying that you don't have experience with one, some, or any of the items on this list, please still apply. All of the things here are trainable and are not required for a successful applicant.
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Experience running workshops and getting the best out of participants
- Experience designing accessible products
- Strong documentation and organisation skills
- A member of the team you will be working with will review your CV. If we reject you at this stage, ask us why, we are happy to provide feedback.
- 30–45-minute initial call to find out more about you, your experience, and what you’re looking for in your next role and team. It’s also the opportunity for you to ask any questions about the job or the company.
- A 90-minute design challenge. We will work on a small problem together, which we send to you beforehand. This will help give you an idea of what it is like to work with us, while giving us some insight into how you approach design problems.
- If that goes well, you’ll have a couple of short calls to meet the team you’ll be working with, and ask any additional questions you might have about the business or working at Wayhome.
End to end this process shouldn't take more than a few weeks, although we're open to being flexible if you require a shorter or longer timeline. Applicants must have the right to work in the UK as we are currently unable to offer sponsorship.
We currently have no plans to work with recruiters on this role, so no recruiters please.