Senior Product Designer
Wayhome: The Mission
At Wayhome we’re reinventing homeownership by co-investing with people who haven't been able to buy a home yet. We’re a small team of engineers, property specialists, data scientists, and creatives who are addressing one of the biggest and most life-changing problems our customers have: how they can get the security and freedom of homeownership for their families and for themselves.
As Senior Product Designer, you’ll be involved in the end-to-end development process, intensely collaborating with product managers and engineers (particularly front-end), using a full range of product design skills: research, user task flows, interaction and visual design, prototyping, design system management, and developer handover. You’ll organise and facilitate cross-discipline sessions from early product definitions through to the alignment and validation of fleshed-out concepts and ideas. You’ll help shape the direction of the company by directly contributing to reaching company-wide OKRs. This role will be primarily leading the designing of operational tools used by our internal teams alongside our other user-facing product areas.
The product development team is a mixed bunch of developers and product managers based in Central London, though of course we are all working from home at the moment and expect that to continue for the foreseeable future.
We understand that there isn’t a one size fits all solution to the way we work; what works today will not necessarily work tomorrow, especially as we expand the team. We value rapid cycles of TEST, LEARN and ADAPT. All of our product tasks are specified and prioritised via a rigorous challenge process that reflects the following about how Product works at Wayhome:
- We know your time is valuable - so we aim to work only on business-critical developments.
- We are focussed on smashing our OKRs - to help aspiring homeowners find their dream homes at scale.
- We believe diverse inputs from various business units and individuals of differing seniority lead to the best product outcomes - if managed by a strong leader.
We value empathy, taking a pragmatic approach to our work and take delight in helping each other out. On occasion we have Alfie the little Corgi giving his input, although his barking outweighs his coding! We have a varied mix of personalities and interests, and value the human beings behind the job title.
What you’ll be doing
- You’ll drive all stages of the design process, from sketching to implementation, across rich product areas: from internal operational tools to our user-facing experiences.
- You’ll work in tandem with engineering to produce flows that are simple, intuitive, and elegant.
- You’ll solve user problems that matter with great empathy and pragmatism, quickly testing ideas to arrive at realistic solutions.
- You’ll take on bringing product ideas to life. You’ll lead in the collaborative development of user journey maps and wireframes that get us ahead, quickly and efficiently.
- You’ll own the product design system. You’ll work with engineering to maintain and iterate atoms, components, and templates that speed up development.
- You’ll shape product strategy, vision, and roadmap together with product managers. You’ll look to align your design output against the planned roadmaps and OKRs, rigorously prioritising work against them.
You should apply if
- You’ve about 4 years of experience designing products end-to-end.
- You’re an avid problem solver and enjoy thinking through complex challenges.
- You’re interested in working on tooling for internal teams.
- You’re into initiating, planning, facilitating, and analysing discovery and usability research.
- You’re interested in how your work is developed, strive to understand as much as you can about front and back-end development, and see yourself as extension of the engineering team.
- You’re passionate about inclusive and accessible design.
- You take a strategic view of everything you do. You willing seek out the balance between the user and business needs for maximal overall impact.
- You’re a talented communicator and confident writer.
- You understand the importance of an evidence-led approach to product and are keen to work with our data team to evaluate hypotheses and enrich your own qualitative research.
- You enjoy collaborating with teams beyond product development, seeking out insights, pain points, and opportunities across the company to better understand and impact the wider business.
- You’re confident working with agile methodologies, have excellent skills in the usual design and prototyping tools (Figma, Sketch, etc).
- You warmly give and freely solicit feedback from others to continually grow and raise the bar of what’s possible.
- And you aren’t afraid to fail.
We’re not right for you if
You need top-down direction. We’re an autonomous bunch working in an exciting, but uncertain space, and will need you to assess where you’re needed most without explicit guidance.
You’re looking to manage a team. For now, this is very much a hands-on role, though there’s certainly opportunities in the future to grow.
You’ve not worked in-house. Agency and consultancy experience is wonderful, but due to the autonomy of this role, we require someone who’s worked in a product development team.
You’re uninterested in financial technology. We get that this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s a-okay, but you won’t set yourself up to succeed if you’re not keenly interested in our product space.
You’re looking to create a lot of expansive interfaces. We care about utility and impact first and foremost. Every screen and interaction needs to justify its existence. We value consolidation over sprawl.
You’re looking to reinvent the wheel. We prefer to spend our time creating innovative solutions, not optimising profile pages and forms. Bikeshedding’s not our jam.
You’re afraid to own up to a mistake. Working in a regulated, sensitive space means we’ve heavy responsibilities on our shoulders. We need everyone to feel comfortable in letting us know when something’s gone wrong so we can move quickly to make it right, as a team. We’re not into blame culture. Trust us, and we’ll trust you.
What we offer you
- Competitive salary
- Your choice of hardware
- Company share options
- Unlimited holidays (a minimum of 28 days)
The fully-remote hiring process
- A 30-minute intro call to go over what you’ve been up to recently, what you’re looking for in your next role, and to learn a little more about what we’ve been up to
- A 60-minute portfolio review where we’ll delve deeper into your design experience and mastery
- A 60-minute whiteboard design challenge
- A series of “Meet the team” chats with the CPO and other members of the company- around 2 hours total
We know the interview process is lengthy and can be particularly unfairly challenging to those juggling full and part-time jobs and responsibilities at home, so please do let us know how we can accommodate and work with you to set you up for success.
Inclusive working practices and diverse teams are deeply important to us. We want our products to the reflect the world we live in, and so particularly invite applications from underrepresented demographics.
We currently have no plans to work with recruiters on this role, so no recruiters please.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK as we are currently unable to offer sponsorship. Additionally, due to the UK leaving the European Union, we are only able to consider candidates who will still be eligible to work in the UK after 01/01/2021.